GivingPoint Institute Online Module 2:
Strategic Business Planning!
Welcome to Social Innovators Academy Online – Module two is an introduction to Strategic Business Planning. Throughout this module, you will gain the insight and skills needed to plan strategically in order to successfully bring your passions and projects to life.
The goals of this lesson are to introduce you to the goal setting strategy: S.M.A.R.T. Goals, to get you thinking about how to achieve success with your project, and to guide you in designing S.M.A.R.T. Goals to execute the different components of your project.
By the end of this workshop you will…
- Be able to clearly explain the “why” of your passion and what value or importance
goal setting and strategic thinking have for a successful social entrepreneur.
- Have a clear understanding of and ability to use the S.M.A.R.T goal development
model to establish clear goals and objectives and to implement a strategic action plan
to make desired outcomes a reality.
- Be able to clearly define steps in the goal setting, implementation, and monitoring
process, acknowledge what steps you may not be good at, and identify goal related
resources that will help you successfully achieve your goals.
- Be able to practice the behavior of consistently reflecting on one’s audience to ensure
that the goals being set are in the best interest of those they are meant to help.
Included In This Lesson
Canvas Thought Questions & S.M.A.R.T Goals sheet
“Operation Youth Club” exercise
“Strategic Business Planning” by Tamara Jones of Evident Impact Consulting.
Strategic Planning in Action: Complete the Strategic Planning Process for your own project.
Lesson Quiz and POINT homework activity
Through out this module you will come to understand the “why” behind your passion, be able to clearly identify the S.M.A.R.T. Goal Development Model, and clearly define the steps in the goal setting, implementation, and monitoring process. You will also learn why it is necessary to reflect on your audience when you are planning.
- This module is self guided. It is highly suggested that you complete each part of the module in order. It should take you approximately an hour and a half to complete this module from start to finish.
- There are a number of items throughout this module that need to be downloaded. It is best that you have access to a printer and/or are able to use a document editor like Adobe to write on the documents digitally.
- This module should be started once a participant has completed the Intro to Social Entrepreneurship Module.
- In order to receive credit for this module you must receive a 75% or better on the quiz and you must turn in your completed POINT work on the online platform
- This module has a series of activities designed to inform and ignite your understanding of Strategic Business Planning. Your first task will be to complete the student reflection activity that follows this video. The main instructional period, hosted by Tamara Jones of Evident Impact Consulting makes up the second step in this module. You will be expected to watch and take notes as she discusses Strategic Business Planning and her experiences in the planning process. Next you will take some time to reflect and review your notes from the instructional session. The third main component of this module is your own planning process. A video has been provided which details how to use the planning documents. After completing your own project planning, you will answer a series of questions in quiz format related to all the information provided in this module.